We often feel helpless when faced with the injustices of the world. Seldom do we feel like we have the power to do anything that will make a difference. Maybe we don’t have the capacity to twitch our noses like Samantha in “Bewitched” and make things right, but we do all have it in us to do little things that can add up to make a significant impact.
The main systems on the planet (social, economic, political, religious, etc.) are flawed. All of these constructs are offspring of our main patriarchal system that has been in place for millenia -- a system that has valued the masculine over the feminine, so much so it has become toxic.
Merriam-Webster defines patriarchy as: “control by men of a disproportionately large share of power.” The planet is still controlled by men with a disproportionately large share of power. We have come a long way in dismantling the patriarchy, but there’s more work to do. When women claim more power, they can help even out the scale and cleanse the earth of this toxicity.
Power is sourced in money, knowledge, voting, emotional maturity, the words we use, and unity. Here are a few things we can do to claim more power, some small, some bigger -- that can really add up and help shift the sick paradigm to a more healthy one:
- Be or become economically independent (being interdependent is fine, too -- just don’t put all your eggs in someone else’s basket.)
- Learn as much as you can. Be a student of life.
- Focus on personal development: therapy, introspection, mindfulness, learning.
- Be mindful of what you are saying. Speak with confidence.
- There is enormous power in words. Don’t take on your husband’s last name (unless you already have). Let your husband take your last name if he’d like, create a hyphenated name or just keep your last name.
- Join and be a part of women’s groups. Support women. Love women and womanhood.
- Keep as much of your money as you can out of big banks. Men still own big banks and wield a lot of power of which they channel in destructive ways like financing the fossil fuel industry instead of clean energy.
Please let me know what other ideas you have of things we can do, whether it’s another category or ideas within each category. I will be expounding on more specifics in the months to come!
Yours in elevating the divine feminine,